Friday, December 27, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hey Hey and Happy Friday to ya! Did you have a wonderful Christmas? I hope so! Mine was full of fun, food and family traditions. My Hubby's family has the cutest ones we continue every year. We all draw numbers and act out the 12 Days Of Christmas...there's 15 of us now so we've made up some of our own days :). We sing Christmas songs and take turns reading the story of the birth of Jesus from Grandpa's bible. And there's food. Everywhere. Everyone brings food. Not only that, but neighbors come and bring treats throughout the day, too. It's so amazing. Obviously I had to be a part of bringing something yummy...but what to bring?

I thought I was completely cookied out. I mean how many more different cookies could I make this season?! I've never made so many cookies during the holidays before in my life! I thought if I saw one more cookie I was going to lose it...but then we went to the movies the other day and I got raisinets and Catching Fire was so good I forgot about them and didn't eat many. I'm so not big on wasting when it comes to buying something that should cost a dollar but ended up costing me $5, so I brought the box home with me. It took all of five minutes for me to decide I wanted to make Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip cookies with them for Christmas at Grandpa's.

And so I did. They were so moist and chewy in the middle and still crunchy on the edges. A perfect combination. I thought I had a lot of raisinets left in that little box, but when I measured it out it was a little over a 1/4 cup. I wanted a whole cup so I used actual raisins and chocolate chips to fill it up. Here's what you do:

First combine your dry ingredients and set aside. Mix the butter and sugar in the mixer, then add the rest in except the chocolate chips and raisins, or raisinets. You'll want to mix those in with a wooden spoon. Then plop down the dough in about tablespoon size balls onto your sheet.


This recipe made about 3 1/2 dozen for me. It was great to be able to bring a popular old recipe with a twist to Christmas.
 Ingredients:

2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup Raisinets or 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 cup chocolate chips of your choice

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine in a bowl the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In a mixer combine the butter and sugar until blended together. Add in the vanilla and egg until well combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until everything is mixed together. 
Using a wooden spoon stir in the raisinets or raisin/chocolate mix. Once they're completely incorporated throughout the dough drop tablespoon size balls onto a baking sheet.
Cook for 10-12 minutes. My first two batches cooked for 12 min, the last two for 10. Remove and let cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack. Pour a tall glass of milk and enjoy!



Did you get everything you hoped for and more so far this holiday season? I'll be sharing with you a fun New Years punch to help keep the excitement of the holiday season going soon. See you then.


Recipe adapted from here

8 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal raisin cookies. I love chocolate chip cookies too. So....sounds like this is the perfect cookie!
    I am going to include this post as a link in my Cookies roundup. It will go live tonight. Stop by and see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me a chocolate. This recipe sounds so yummy. Going to pin for later use. Thanks for sharing. www.mylifeabundant.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my 2 favorite cookies in one! Thanks for linking to What'd You Do This Weekend.

    Happy New Year!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. My second recipe I have seen today with oatmeal cookies, must be a sign to make these! Thanks for sharing at Create it or Bake It, I have changed my party name and have started my party now on Sunday would love for you to come over and link up! http://mommyondemand.com/happiness-homemade-1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible to substitute margarine for the butter in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question. I don't cook with margarine too much, but I'm assuming it would be ok. Big assumption though bc I don't really know the difference between the two :) If anyone else reads this and knows if that's an ok substitute can you let us know? Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been searching for this kind of chocolate chip cookies recipe finally got it now..thank you

    ReplyDelete