Thursday, December 19, 2013

Chewy Molasses Cookies

It's that time of year! The time where women are happily sitting at home while their husband's run around at the last minute to buy their gifts...at least that's how my husband does it :) Around December 24th he comes running in the door frantically telling me to go upstairs until it's "safe" to come down. Then I giggle as I listen to him from the upstairs while he grunts and curses at the wrapping paper and tape because none of it is working for him. Finally he hollers "Coast is clear!" and I walk down to see all my gifts have ended up in bags. It's the thought that counts right?!?!

Recently I tried my first recipe with molasses and it was a huge success! Since my gingerbread men were so delicious, I decided to try another sweet Christmas treat using more of the gooey good stuff. This time I went with a good ol' fashion Chewy Molasses Cookie!
This recipe has a ton of ingredients, so I opted not to take an "ingredients" picture because it looked kind of silly. I decided to add on some royal icing to these, mostly because I've been wanting to try it and thought these were good cookies to try it out on. To bake these you'll want to plop big spoonfuls of the dough onto parchment paper. I didn't even form mine, just plopped and baked!
Some cookies received the cute squiggle lines, while others got more of a Christmas touch.

 The snowman is my favorite!
It's been two days since I made them and they are still so moist and chewy. They go down great with a tall glass of milk!

Ingredients:
For cookies:
1 Cup sugar
3/4 Cup sour cream
1/2 Cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 Cup shortening
1/2 Cup molasses
1 egg
3 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt

For icing:
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice (whichever you have on hand...tartar makes it shinier)

Directions for cookies:

Combine together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In your mixer combine the sugar, sour cream, butter, shortening, molasses and egg on medium speed until everything is mixed together.  Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto a parchment covered baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. Let cool before adding the icing.

Directions for icing:
Combine all ingredients in the electric mixer and whip for about 5-7 minutes or until the dough creates little peaks. What I mean is if you lift some of the icing up, the remainder in the bowl will stand up on it's own. Just take your finger and pull some up. If there's a "mountain" peak left behind, it's ready. Spread on a cookie and enjoy!


Has anyone tried the royal icing? It's so cool that it's so easy to work with and then hardens up. Love it!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to future expat, smiling sally, made from pinterest, serenity now, the child at heart, the country cook, 504 main, the pin junkie, simple living eating, the jenny evolution, wait til your father gets home, kitchen fun with my 3 sons, the chicken chick

5 comments:

  1. Your cookies look festive. I like just a little icing - just a little zigzag sound like the answer.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this recipe from the Will Cook for Smiles link party and it looks so good. And it's perfect for the recipe link party that just went live on my website Future Expat. Today's theme is SUGAR...so feel free to link this up and any other of your sweet sugary recipes.

    http://futureexpat.com/2013/12/required-ingredient-sugar/

    Every link gets posted to Pinterest and the featured recipes each week also get highlighted on social media sites too. Would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see some tiny, blue lights. Thanks for linking in today.

    Merry Christmas and
    Happy Blue Monday, Elie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delish and lovely little blue lights for HBM ~ Happy Holidays, carol, xxx

    ReplyDelete