Saturday, December 7, 2013

My New Favorite "Men"

Happy only three Saturdays left until Christmas!! Hubby is off at two today and we will be heading out to brave the shopping malls. I'm excited...hubby not so much :) But like he always says, "Happy Wife, Happy Life." I love that man so much!

Another "man" I have fallen for is the Gingerbread Man. For some reason I always thought I didn't like them. I would see them at holiday parties and just keep walking. I had no desire to try one because I just assumed they were gross and I wouldn't like them. What is wrong with me?! They are delicious! Maybe I had a bad cookie once and wrote them off after that, but I am so glad I gave them another try.

I found this recipe on a McCormick coupon sheet, but I'm guessing you can find it on their website too. I didn't make any changes just because I didn't really know what they were supposed to taste like and didn't want to mess them up. Just to forewarn you, this was an overnight recipe. It can be made in several hours if you start it early enough. Here's what you'll need:
And for decorating:
So to start you'll want to mix the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
Then mix up the sugar and butter until it's nice and smooth. Add in the molasses, egg and vanilla. Once that's all combined, add in the dry stuff. You'll then want to press the dough into a flat disk and cover with plastic wrap. Roll it up and place it in the fridge overnight (or for about 4 hours).
Fast forward to the next day (or 4 hours later :)...COVER your work area with flour. I.mean.cover. This stuff was so sticky! Make sure your rolling pin is well floured and get to rolling.
Place the cookies on a baking sheet and get to baking. Don't worry if you place the "guys" too close together. They don't expand too much.
Let them cool on a wire rack and then get to decorating!! This was by far my favorite part!
I had some dough left at the end and made a huge Gingerbread Man (pictured above)
There's no rules on how to decorate, so have at it! This recipe made so many! I had a ton to give out. Hubbies work was very thankful for that. I think I ate two as soon as they came out and three more after they were decorated. Sending them off with Hubby was the only way I could stop eating them!

Ingredients:
3 Cups flour
2 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 Cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 Cup molasses
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla

Directions:
Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Combine butter and sugar in a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add in the flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press the dough into a thick flat disk. Cover with plastic wrap and roll into a log. Place in the fridge overnight or for at least four hours.

Take out dough and roll out onto a very floured surface. Flour the heck out of your rolling pin and roll it out until its about 1/4 inch thick. Use your cookie cutters and cut out as many shapes as you want. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes. Remove and get to decorating!! This recipe made me 36 cookies.


What's your favorite holiday treat? Any dishes you've avoided & later found to love? Love to hear it!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to diyhshp, dwellings-the heart of your home and between naps on the porch and the self sufficient home acre and flamingo toes and classy clutter and nifty thrifty things

No comments:

Post a Comment