1 1/2 Cups warm water (between 105-110 degrees)
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
6 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp brown sugar
4 1/2-5 Cups flour
2 1/2 tsp salt
3 Quarts water
3/4 Cup baking soda
1 egg and 1 Tbsp water, beaten together slightly
Chunky coarse sea salt
1. Mix together the warm water, sugar, yeast and melted butter in your mixer bowl with your dough hook attachment. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
2. Combine 4 1/2 Cups of flour and salt together and add to the yeast mixture on slow speed, continue mixing on slow. Once all the flour is in, turn up the speed to medium and mix until the dough pulls away from the bowl. If the dough seems too sticky, add in the extra flour a little bit at a time. Take out the dough and knead on a lightly floured surface with your hands for a few minutes.
3. Roll the dough into a ball. Coat a large bowl with oil and roll the dough around in the bowl until the dough has a layer of oil on it. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet.
5. Start pulling out chunks of the dough and roll into a long rope that is the same thickness throughout. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
6. Boil the water in a large saucepan on high heat. Once boiling, SLOWLY add in the baking soda. If you go too fast, it will boil over and you'll have a huge mess. Throw in several pretzel pieces and let boil for about 30-45 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet, making sure the pieces don't touch.
7. Brush the egg wash over the pretzel bites and sprinkle on the coarse salt. Place in the over and bake for about 13-15 minutes, or until they are the desired golden brown you want them to be. Remove and immediately add more salt and transfer to a wire rack.
I added garlic butter on top of mine and served with a cheese sauce.
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 Cup milk
1/4 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
Dash of salt and pepper
Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add in the flour and stir until combined. Add in the milk and stir for about 1 minute. Add in all the cheese and seasonings and stir constantly until cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite pretzel bites or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Need some great sauce pans? Check these out!
You could easily keep off the salt and brush the bites with melted butter and cinnamon sugar when they come out of the oven and serve with some icing! Yummy dessert! What are you planning on making for the Big Game this Sunday? Can't wait to hear your recipes! Might even try a few myself! Hope you all have a great weekend!
Thanks for stopping by!
**I linked up to the homeacre hop, serenity now, weekend potluck, creativity unleashed, friday favorites, tickled pink, foodie friday, tidy mom, the jenny evolution, kitchen fun with my three sons, bloom designs, full plate thursday, create it thursday, inspire me wednesday, wicked awesome wednesday, worthwhile wednesday, share your stuff tuesday, titus 2 tuesday, the tuesday talent show, the scoop, coastal charm, homecoming, give me the goods, between naps on the porch, amaze me monday, craft o maniac, much ado about monday, more the merrier, best of the weekend