Monday, November 11, 2013

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I discovered the greatness that is brown butter here last week and I am absolutely in love with this stuff!! A few things you should know about me are 1: I have a HAUGE sweet tooth 2: When I get into something, I dive all in. Twilight series read in like 2 weeks. Same with Harry Potter. Decorating for the holidays, any holiday, takes me like 3 weeks. And now my obsession love for brown butter has begun.

So when I ran across this recipe here I just had to try them...with a few of my own alterations of course :) This recipe just screamed awesome with the brown butter and milk chocolate chips...yum!


Looks amazing right?! Funny thing about me is I've never actually made a successful batch of cookies until now! Swear on it. It's weird I've been trying for years, but they always ended up flat and crunchy or undercooked and way too doughy. But not this time...this time they were perfect! Now go in your kitchen and get these:


See that in the green bowl? That's the brown butter that I love so much! What you'll want to do is make your brown butter and then let it cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile stir together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.


Then take out butter and pour in a mixer making sure to scrape the bowl completely out. Beat butter and sugars until they are light and fluffy.


I was pretty picture happy throughout this, so bare with me. :) Next, add the remaining wet ingredients to the butter/sugar. Then combine slowly with the dry mixture. Finally, stir in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. In the end the dough should look like the bottom picture.



Cover the dough and chill. When ready, form into balls and let cook. If you are like me and want a few cookies, not the 2 dozen the recipe makes, roll remaining dough into balls and freeze for later. Quick and easy to pop out of the freezer and bake!



And if that's not enough cookie dough for you...kick it up a notch!!

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, browned
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups light brown sugar, packed
1/3 Cup sugar
1 T heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 Cup milk chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown butter in a saucepan. Pour into a heat safe bowl and place in the fridge covered for about 20 minutes. While this is cooling, combine your flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. Take out butter and add it to your mixer, making sure to scrape out the entire bowl. Don't want to leave any brown butter behind :). Add in brown sugar and sugar and mix on medium until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

When butter/sugar is fluffy add in the cream, vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Once it is thoroughly combined slowly add in the dry ingredients. Scrape the edges with a spatula and continue mixing. When you can't see any flour stir in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Freeze covered in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Take out and roll into 2 inch balls and place them on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or cooking spray. Cook for about 11 minutes...more if you like them chewier. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet. Set on wire rack to continue cooling. Repeat with remaining dough, or roll into balls and freeze for easy baking later.

Once they're slightly cooled you are ready to enjoy what has to be the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had! I can't believe it took me this long to get cookies right, but how amazing these are totally makes up for it! Optional: Serve with ice cream, salt and caramel sauce. Yum!

Here's a little trick of the trade a friend taught me...put a piece of bread in with the cookies to keep them moist longer. I promise you it works!!

 

Do you love brown butter, too? Let me know your favorite recipes! I would love to hear what fills your sweet tooth!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to play.party.pin. and Someday Crafts and handy man, crafty woman and Mandy's Recipe Box and Sumo's Party and Love Bakes Good Cakes

1 comment:

  1. Brown butter really does make everything taste better! I'd love to have you come share on the weekend re-Treat link party that ends tonight - http://www.playpartypin.com/2013/11/weekend-re-treat-link-party-43.html.

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete