Saturday, June 14, 2014

Not Your Typical Strawberry Shortcake

Hey All and Happy Saturday to ya! Yesterday my sister and I went up north to see my grandparents and had an amazing time! It seems time is just flying by so I made sure to embrace every minute I was with them. They are wonderful people and I'm so lucky to be 29 and still have both of them. 

So like I mentioned the other day, my sister and I recently went strawberry picking at a local farm. It's an annual event and my nephews at that age where he really gets into it and loves finding the biggest berry! It's adorable and melts my heart watching his face light up. 

One thing we usually make with our berries is homemade jam, which I will share that recipe soon I'm sure. Another recipe I love to make is Strawberry Shortcake!
But this isn't your typical Strawberry Shortcake. It's not super crumbly and like a scone. It's more like a cupcake texture but with all the shortcake taste. I personally like mine this way, and that's why I love these little shortcakes!
And the fact that I was using fresh picked strawberries put these over the top! I'm just in love with how vibrant the colors are!

These cakes are already pretty moist, but to top them with juicy sugary strawberries makes these little babies ah.ma.zing!
But I LOOOVE the whipped cream!!
Ingredients:
1/3 Cup butter, softened
1 Cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 Cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup milk

1 1/2-2 Cups strawberries, hulled and sliced up
1/2 Cup sugar

Directions:
Stir together the cut up strawberries and sugar in a bowl and place in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin pan or a 9 inch round pan.

Combine butter and sugar in a mixer. 

Add in the egg and vanilla until combined.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Alternately add in the dry ingredients and milk until both are completely added. Don't over mix though. As soon as the ingredients are all added in, stop mixing. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. 

Allow to cool on the baking rack. Before you remove the cakes, run a knife along the edge to make for easier removal.

Top the cakes with the strawberry-sugar mix and dive in. Feel free to add a huge amount of whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream to your plate!

So are you a crumbly scone type person, or more of a cakey shortcake lover? Hope your summer is going great!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to amaze me monday, much ado about monday, frugal crafty home, the scoop, titus 2 tuesday, simple supper tuesday, create link inspire, creative buster, whats cookin wednesday, wicked awesome wednesdayfull plate thursday

11 comments:

  1. I am more of a cakey shortcake lover. But honestly, I love strawberries anyway I can get them. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. We would love for you to join us at Party in Your PJs.

    http://www.thecookiepuzzle.com/2014/06/party-in-your-pjs-7_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love squirting the whipped cream in my mouth. That's the best part of anything with whipped cream. These look yummy. Those strawberries are really pretty. I'd love to pick my own if I ever get a Satutday off again. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you use a muffin time for these! What a great idea and so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! I love eating whipped cream in that same manner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good!!! :) I am getting ready to do something with strawberries here also.... mmm, love them and want to either freeze them or make jam. :) Thank you for posting.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of putting them in a muffin tin! These look amazing, pinned and can't wait to make :-)
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day These look great and were my childhood fave!
    Viewed as part of Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop #78
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea on strawberry shortcake, I'm am going to make this soon.


    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow!! I would have to run 2 extra miles after eating the whip cream. lol Thank you for sharing on our Four Seasons Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your Shortcake, looking forward to trying this recipe. Your place at our table is very special and thanks so much for sharing your wonderful food with all of us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a fantastic week and come back real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete