Since birthdays=birthday cakes I knew I wanted to make something special for Hub since he's always so amazing to me. Seeing as Valentine's Day is right around the corner I decided to catch two fish with one net (not sure if that's clever but I'm keeping it) and make him a Valentine's Day type birthday cakeish. See Hub is not a fan of typical sheet cake or the normal icing used. We usually always do something other than cake for birthdays. For me it's always brownies and for Hub it's anything but cake. So when I suggested these Homemade All Strawberry Cupcakes he was sold!
icing AND there's real strawberries on top! Yep. That's right. Strawberries everywhere! Doesn't get much better for my hub. Plus I added in some french vanilla coffee creamer to make these super moist and delicious!
1 and 2/3 Cup + 1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
5 Strawberries, cut up
1/2 Cup butter, melted
1 Cup sugar
3/4 Cup milk
1/4 Cup french vanilla creamer
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 drops red food coloring
1/2 Cup strawberry jam
2 Cups powdered sugar
1/4 Cup butter, softened
4 oz (half a brick) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp strawberry jam or strawberry dessert topping (I ran out of jam and had to switch to the topping)
3-4 drops red food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Take the chopped up strawberries and mash them with a fork until there are no more chunks left and it looks like strawberry soup. It took me all of three minutes in a shallow bowl to get the consistency I wanted. If you have a food processor, you can use that, but it doesn't seem worth the mess.
4. In a large bowl microwave the butter until melted, about 40 seconds. Stir in the sugar. Once combined and in the egg and stir until fully incorporated. Then add the milk, creamer, vanilla and food coloring. Stir until everything is mixed together.
5. Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
6. As soon as everything is blended together, fold in the the mashed strawberries.
7. Spoon the batter into liners until they are halfway filled. Add a small scoop of strawberry jam and cover with batter until the cups are about 3/4 way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I cooked mine for 28 minutes and they came out perfect. Remove and set out to cool.
Combine all ingredients in your mixer with the whisk attachment until it becomes creamy and there are no lumps. Add food coloring until the icing is the color you're looking for. Spoon into a piping bag or just plop right on top of the cupcake. Decorate and devour!
So are you a cake person? Or a brownies person? Or neither? Personal fav is brownies, although I've been known to consume multiple chocolate chip cookies in a single sitting. Got any fun plans for the weekend? Love to hear them!
Need a mixer? Grab one here!
How about a food processor? Here's a great one!
**I linked up to made from pinterest, weekend potluck, tickled pink x2, foodie friday, freedom fridays, im lovin it, thursday s.t.y.l.e., kitchen fun with my 3 sons, friday flash blog, bloom designs, pin it thursday, all things thursday, full plate thursday, create it thursday, whats cooking wednesday, fluster buster, wordless wednesday, atozebra, tutorial tuesday, titus 2 tuesday, the scoop, nifty thrifty tuesday, homecoming, make it pretty monday, metamorphosis monday, give me the goods, sunday showcase party, much ado about monday, frugal crafty home, marvelous mess, craftomaniac, amaze me mondays
Recipe adapted from here