Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bacon, Avocado and Double Cheese Grilled Cheese

Good Morning and Happy Saturday to ya! We have a full day of breakfast eating and couch sitting planned for today! I know, it sounds so rough. Oh, we might go look at a kitty later, too :) I'll keep you updated if we get her!

I come from a very large family. I have six siblings, four nieces and nephews, three brother in-laws, three mother in-laws, and two amazing parents (Happy Birthday Mom!)! Growing up, life was always fast and money was always tight. One summer, one of my older sisters and I ate a grilled cheese sandwich almost every day. It was cheap, it was fast, and most of all it was so.darn.good.

Ever since then, every time I eat a grilled cheese I'm reminded of that summer. We would wake up, play some Sega, make a grilled cheese, and then go watch Seinfeld episodes in our parents bed until someone came home and told us to clean something (there was always something to clean with seven kids running around). This is what I use to make my favorite summertime sandwich today:

 First you layer your bread with cheese, then more cheese, then as much bacon as you can possibly fit on there.
Slice up your avocado while still in the shell to make it easier.
Now I cook my grilled cheeses the way I was taught working as a lifeguard at our local country club (that was a different summer). You throw some butter in the pan and as soon as it's melted, put the assembled sandwich on top. Place something heavy on the sandwich to flatten it.
I use my tea kettle with water in it. After a minute or so grab some more butter, lift up the sandwich, let the butter melt, then drop the sandwich on the uncooked side into the new pile of butter. Mmmm...pile of butter. Anyway, your sandwich should be a light golden brown at this point.
Since I use Velveeta I have to let my sandwich cool a bit before biting in and enjoying, otherwise I'll have hot hot cheese all over my chin. Trust me, it's worth the wait. I know, I've had many a cheesy chins in my days. After a minute of cooling, cut in half and devour!!!
Ingredients:
2-3 oz Velveeta, sliced
4 pieces of bacon
1 oz Provel ropes (or any other cheese if you don't live in STL)
4 slices of Avocado
2 slices of bread
1-2 T butter

Directions:
Put sliced cheese(s), bacon and avocado on the bread. Heat large pan or skillet to medium high. Throw in about 1/2 T of butter. As soon as it's melted, place slice of bread over butter and push around to make sure it's coated. After 2-3 minutes take the bread off the pan and throw in more butter. Repeat process on the other side. Once it is cooked enough to your liking on both sides remove from the pan. Enjoy!

What do you use to jazz up your grilled cheese? Was there a staple food in your house growing up, too? Love to hear your ideas! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizaabeth,

    Thanks for joining in to Blue Monday.

    Have a good 1st Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. making one right now - looks and sounds delicious - what better ingredients than cheese, BACON, avocado - butter ....

    ReplyDelete