Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cinnamon Roll Cookies

Hey All and Happy Thursday! Did you know Tuesday was National Pancake Day? Well we did, and we took advantage of the day by having breakfast for dinner! It's seriously one of Hub's favorite things...like ever. He could be having the worst day at work but then get a text from me asking if he wants bacon or sausage for dinner and he immediately forgets all about whatever is going on. 
Sorry about the crummy night time pic. Just know they were chocolate chip and they were amazing and would've photographed beautifully in the daytime :) So along with the pancakes I made some bacon and eggs.  And for dessert I knew instantly what I wanted to make...Cinnamon Roll Cookies!
These things are freaking awesome. I laugh out loud when I think about how good they are because they make me that happy. Its recipes like this that make me glad I'm a Zumba instructor and therefore can eat a ton of these!
The worst part about this recipe is the waiting! They spend about two hours in the fridge before they're ready to bake, and another half hour after they're iced. But they are so worth it. I mean these are the epitome of the phrase "Worth the wait"!
Super chewy and cinnamony (word?) on the inside, light and crunchy on the outside, and topped with sweet creamy icing. These cookies are awesome!
I know, I know. You're thinking these all don't look exactly like a perfect teeny tiny cinnamon roll cookie. Well I'm here to tell you nothing in life is perfect and as long as what I'm eating tastes awesome, I'm good to go. I think next time I need to roll up the dough tighter, so remember that when you try these out and they may look more like an itty bitty cinnamon roll than mine. Trust me though when I say these taste fantastic!
Makes 2 dozen
Ingredients:
2/3 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/3 Cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

4 Tbsp butter, softened, divided
1/2 Cup brown sugar, divided
1 Tbsp cinnamon, divided

4oz Cream cheese
1/4 Cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Directions:
Whisk together the sugar and butter in your mixer until soft. 

Add in the egg and stir until fully incorporated, followed by the vanilla and sour cream.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir together with a fork then slowly add it to the dough.

Once everything is mixed together, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a circle. Place in the fridge to chill for at least two hours. 

Remove and flour your work surface really well. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheet with a silpat or grease with cooking spray. 

Divide the dough into two equal parts. Roll each half out into a circle about an 1/8 inch in thickness and coat each circle with two tablespoons of butter. 

Sprinkle on 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 a tablespoon of cinnamon over each circle and roll up into a log. 

Slice into thin cookies using a sharp knife and place on the baking sheet. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until fluffy and slightly golden brown. Remove and allow to cool on baking sheet. 

Icing:
Whip the cream cheese in your mixer until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and milk and mix together. Add more milk for thinner icing. 

Top cooled cookies with icing and return to the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. Remove and enjoy!

So did you and your family take advantage of National Pancake Day? Do you love breakfast for dinner, too?

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to lovely little link party, the homeacre hop, pin it thursday, all things thursday, full plate thursday, work it wednesday, whats cookin wednesday, wicked awesome wednesday, show me what ya got, create link inspiretasty tuesday, share your stuff tuesdays, the scoop, nifty thrifty tuesday, the diy'ers, make it pretty monday, made by you monday, metamorphosis mondays, sunday showcase, a marvelous mess, carrie this home, much ado about monday, craftomaniac, amaze me mondaybusy mondaysuper saturday link partylink party paloozaweekend bloggy readingweekend potlucktickled pinkfoodie fridaythursday stylekitchen fun and crafty fridayfriday flash blog

***recipe adapted from here

20 comments:

  1. Whoa these look amazing! Pinned this sweet cinnamon deliciousness :-)
    Cathy
    www.threekidsandafish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sour cream in cookies! These look very tasty. Can't wait to give them a try. Found you on Pin Junkie Link Party. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, those cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those look so good! Thanks for stopping by and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! They really do look like mini cinnamon rolls, I love that. I'm going to have to try these for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I assume this calls for a 350 degree oven. Am I right? Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look delicious!! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look inviting and delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. Appreciate the link back too. Hope to have you join us at next week's party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! These cookies look delicious! I would love to give these a try! I just started a new link-up, Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up and would love to invite you to share your recipe at my linky party. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love cinnamon rolls, can't wait to give these a try...looks so yummy!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so awesome! I'd love for you to come share at Simple Supper Tuesday.
    http://www.hunwhatsfordinner.com/2014/03/simple-supper-tuesday-54_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy looking cookies i just have to try you recipe! I pinned for later, thanks for sharing. i found you on wonderful weds blog party

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great side cookie. Looks delicious!! Thanks for linking up to BOTW party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinnamon Roll Cookies, oh my major YUM! Happy St. Patrick's Day to Ya and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing these at Tell Me About It Tuesday!
    We are featuring this post as a hostess favorite this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Book marking so I can come back to this one. It looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing with us and for linking up at Tell it To Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband will love these! Thank you for sharing the recipe at the HomeAcre Hop. I hope you'll join us again on Thursday.
    Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drooooooling!!! I will try these for sure! Thank you for sharing! (and for the extra pounds on my butt!!)

    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete